top of page

There are legal requirements for your marriage that must be met in order for an authorised marriage celebrant to legally conduct a civil ceremony in Australia. There is compulsory wording that must be spoken by the celebrant and the couple according to the Marriage Act 1961 to legally solemnise a marriage. I will incorporate this wording into your ceremony. You must provide the following documentation, completed in the English language or have a fully certified English translation attached:

  • Original Birth Certificates;

  • A form of photo identity (e.g.) driver license or passport;

  • Divorce Certificate if either or both the bride and/or groom have been previously married and divorced;

  • Death Certificate if either or both the bride and/or groom have been widowed; and/or

  • Re-issued Birth Certificate or Deed Poll of change of name if applicable.

  • Overseas couples getting married in Australia or those marrying under a Prospective Marriage Visa  are subject to the same legal requirements.


If you were born outside of Australia and are unable to produce a Birth Certificate, an original passport showing your date and place of birth must be produced. A statutory declaration may be required declaring the correct details of your parents’ names in full and your place of birth. Each case is different and I will discuss this with you.

A Notice of Intended Marriage must be completed and lodged no less than one clear calendar month and one day prior, and not more than eighteen months prior, to the ceremony date. There are circumstances whereby the marrying couple can apply to the prescribed authority to have the period of not less than one month and one day shortened. 

I will ensure your experience is stress free by helping you with, and guiding you through, the paperwork required. I will lodge your completed legal paperwork with the Registry of Birth, Deaths and Marriages.


bottom of page